rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Thursday, January 11, 2007

It just happened while we were talking

Did I mention I finished the Long Loneliness? My copy has so many folded corners it's doubled in thickness. Since then I started working on an article about pacifism which has taken on a life of its own and gotten out of control. Hopefully that will be done by the weekend.
Day's comments on pacifism are as revolutionary today as they were at the height of WWII. We are the greatest of all God's creations, yet our fallen nature causes us to act out in the most animal of ways towards each other. Can we ever achieve peace through war?
And lastly for tonight, expect regular blogging again tomorrow. When I try to take more time and work exclusively on longer posts...I just wind up not writing at all. So hopefully, I can crank out at least one in-depth article a week while also passing on other points of interest for Workers. Some upcoming article ideas; finally mentioning something about that Americans on Call link on the right, more thoughts on subsidiarity, welfare creating dependence on the state AND MORE! Feel free to pass along any ideas you think might be relevant.
I have missed the lighter blogging, these few quiet moments after my children are asleep when I am free to discuss things with you. In the postscript to TLL I found, it does start with just talking and I shouldn't be afraid to limit the converstation.

"We were just sitting there talking when Peter Maurin came in.
We were just sitting there talking when lines of people began to form, saying, "We need bread." We could not say, "Go be thou filled." If there were six small loaves and a few fishes, we had to divide them. There was always bread.
We were just sitting there talking and people moved in on us.
Let those who can take it, take it. Some moved out and that made room for more. And somehow the walls expanded.
We were just sitting there talking and someone said, "Let's all go live on a farm."
It was as causal as all that, I often think. It just came about. It just happened. ...
We have all known the long loneliness and we have learned that the only solution is love and that love come with community.
It all happened while we sat there talking, and it is still going on."
Dorothy Day pg 285-286

0 comments: